From Little Saigon in Orange Country to Little Armenia in Hollywood and Historic Filipinotown in Echo Park, Los Angeles has divided itself into many small ethnic neighborhoods, some with official city signage and proclamations, others self-declared by the local residents. Are we culturally diverse or are we culturally segregated? Do these titles mean anything to the folks who live there, especially if they don’t share the ethnicity spelled out on the city sign?
The Youth Film Festival on Social Justice 2012 asks: is Los Angeles diversity a celebration of culture or are we ethnically segregating ourselves into separate little enclaves?
*Submission from outside the Los Angeles area are welcome as long as they adhere to the festival’s theme of diversity.
Film Festival Guidelines
2. The video must be created, filmed and edited by youth. Adults can be involved as advisors, instructors or mentors.
3. The maximum length allowed is 7 minutes. There is no minimum length.
4. Your submission must be postmarked or delivered to the Bresee Community Center by May 3, 2012. A completed entry form must accompany your submission. Download an entry form here: PDF or WORD DOC
5. The video needs to answer in some fashion the question posed by this year’s theme: “Diverity in Los Angeles: Celebration or Segreation” Submissions from outside of Los Angeles are welcome but need to adhere to the theme of diversity in the city or community from where they originate.
6. The video can take any style, such as P.S.A. narrative fiction, music video, digital story, documentary or experimental.
7. Submissions of full quality Quicktime files on a data DVD disk, flash drive or downloadable are preferred. Please consult us
if you cannot submit via the preferred method. Submissions cannot be returned.
8. The video remains the property of the submitter, however, by submitting the film the submitter agrees to allow Bresee to use the film to publicize future festivals and to distribute the film for educational purposes. Please send video submissions with entry form:
184 S. Bimini Place
Los Angeles, CA 90004
ATTN: Youth Media Festival 2010